Thursday, August 8, 2019

David's April Snow


We all have a favorite song. One that stirs a certain emotion and makes us believe that the artist wrote that piece just for us. It may be hard for some to believe, especially if you have been a reader of my political articles, but my favorite song is Prince’s “Sometimes it Snow in April.” Being the last song on the Parade album from 1986, it is not likely a song many people are familiar with. This is sure to jerk a tear or two out of anyone who has experienced the loss of a loved one. The very first notes resonate with sadness and the harrowing, hollow feeling of someone important to you being gone forever. The last line “love isn’t love until it’s past” suggests that we need to appreciate the friendships and relationships we have because, at any moment, those people can disappear from our lives.

This song had a special meaning for me as a young teenager growing up in the 80s. I grew up without knowing what a mother’s loving touch was like. Or, what it meant to have a dad there to teach me what I needed to be a man. I wasn’t raised by either of my parents and I grew up not fully understanding why. My parents were coming into adulthood at the tail end of the cultural revolution where rebellion against the system was encouraged. This was the beginning of the movement to discredit and destroy the family as an American institution. To be fair, they both had problems that needed to be resolved but when they were, they both opted out of parenthood, leaving me to deal with an array of emotional issues that would develop over time.

I have never experienced the kind of loss expressed in this song. For me, “Sometimes it Snows in April” kind of represented the importance I wanted to be in someone else’s life. The sentiment expressed in the song, the longing desire to be reunited with a friend, the emptiness so perfectly expressed in describing the hole left in a wounded heart. I wanted to be that important to someone. I grew up feeling like I didn’t matter and if I wasn’t there, it really wouldn’t make a difference. This wasn’t entirely true of course. I wasn’t cast aside like an unwanted puppy and left to die on the side of the road. My grandparents picked me up periodically while I grew up in what at first glance, seemed to be a normal family with my dad’s aunt and her kids. Regrettably, this family was plagued with alcoholism and divorce; meaning that my cousins all grew up with their own problems. I do have a relationship with my mother today and I do love her. While I have found it in my heart to forgive them both, I have a hard time relating to them as I have learned life’s lessons on my own, and they have no experience raising children. After struggling through my teenage years my grandparents came through at a time when I needed someone most, and I love them dearly for this.

Today, of course, I have my own family. A wife I have been married to for twenty-six years. She has shown me what it means to be a mother by selflessly devoting her entire existence, almost too much so, to our children. I often wonder if she realizes what this means to me. We have been through some trying times, which in today’s quick divorce society would have ended many marriages. She has filled the role of not only wife and mother, but a woman who has taught me what it means to commit your efforts to someone else. Something I did not get growing up. She has become to me what I always wanted to be to someone else, as I hope I am for her. That one person you cannot live without. I am thankful to have her and when I hear Prince’s song today I am reminded of all the things that I take for granted as I realize that life is indeed fragile, and it can take a drastic turn for any of us at any moment. Remember to tell those you love how important they are while you can.

Sometimes it Snows in April

No comments:

Post a Comment

Analyzing the Attempts to Normalize Pedophilia.

  December 18, 2023   by  David Risselada Sometimes I find myself at a loss. The past few years have been quite an experience for me as I ha...